Strategic Directions in Osteoinduction and Biomimetics
Professor Pamela Habibovic
MERLN Institute for Technology-Inspired Regenerative Medicine
Department of Instructive Biomaterials Engineering
6229 ER Maastricht
Deadline for manuscript submission: January 15, 2017
Please include the title of the special issue in your cover letter upon submission
Tissue Engineering is the official journal of TERMIS and the preeminent biomedical journal advancing the field with cutting-edge research and applications on all aspects of tissue growth and regeneration. Multidisciplinary in scope, the journal brings together the principles of engineering and life sciences in tissue development and regenerative medicine.
The golden standard for the treatment of large, clinically relevant bone defects, is autologous bone transplantation. Limited availability of patient’s own bone is however, a serious disadvantage, and the need for alternatives that are affordable and available in large quantities is rapidly growing. Instructive synthetic biomaterials that can initiate and control the process of bone regeneration in situ and therewith replace autologous bone will make a major contribution to the field. This special issue focuses on the strategic directions in the development of instructive biomaterials for bone regeneration, either through biomimetic approaches or by smart engineering.
Guest Editor Professor Pamela Habibovic seeks high-quality review articles and original research articles on the following topics related to Osteoinduction and Biomimetics:
- Biomimetic approaches to production and evaluation of biomaterials for bone regeneration
- Mimicking and engineering the natural environment of bone
- Development, preclinical and clinical performance of osteoinductive biomaterials
- Mechanisms of osteoinduction by biomaterials
- Synthetic osteoinductive biomaterials as a full alternative to autologous bone transplantation?
Contributions will receive prompt and thorough peer review and will be published online (epub) ahead of print after acceptance. Please refer to our Instructions for Authors before submitting your manuscript for consideration.
Tissue Engineering provides a central forum for groundbreaking scientific research and developments of clinical applications from leading experts in the field that will enable contributions to the ultimate care of patients.
Advantages of publishing in Tissue Engineering include:
- Latest Impact Factor: 3.892
- Fast and user-friendly electronic submission
- Rapid, high-quality peer review
- Open Access options available
- The Journal is indexed in all key indexing services
- Maximum exposure: accessible in 170 countries worldwide
- Opportunity to participate in new Author Benefits Program